My neighbour is a beautiful woman with thick curly hair that always stands out.
I with fine hair do get envious (sometimes) of her big fabulous hair.
Last week we got talking, and I asked her what she puts on her hair. I knew she was using something natural.
…and her hair secret is nothing fancy, but very common… Coconut Milk.
Coconut milk she says keeps hair soft, shiny and well defined. It also helps with manageability and frizz.
Coconut Milk Benefits for Your Hair
- Deep conditions hair and hydrates every strand
- Leaves hair feeling soft, silky and shiny
- Encourages faster hair growth
- Makes detangling very easy
- Tames frizz and fly-aways
- Greatly reduces split ends and hair breakage
- Helps with dandruff and scalp dryness
Coconut oil is pretty awesome for hair. But if your hair is dry and coarse then skip the oil and use coconut milk. This is because dry hair needs a combination of fatty acids plus moisture – which the oil lacks.
This delicious creamy milk acts as a great conditioner and helps to moisturise every strand and condition from within. With just one use you will notice how soft, shiny, and silky your hair feels. Plus, your hair will be easy to comb, as coconut milk is a great detangler. You will have no more hair breakage.
Coconut milk also contains anti-fungal and antiseptic properties that help with dandruff and soothe itchy, irritated scalp
Nutritional Benefits: Coconut milk contains tons of good fats, proteins, vitamin C and minerals including manganese, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and zinc – all of these nourish hair follicles and makes hair grow longer and healthier.
You can also drink this super-nutritious milk for healthy skin, hair, bones, joints, and overall wellness.
How to Make Coconut Milk Hair Mask
Made with just two ingredients: coconut milk and olive oil, it’s super-easy and natural and will leave your hair feeling lush.
You will need:
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (optional, provides extra moisture)
- 1 egg yolk (optional, gives hair body, bounce and glossy look)
- 3 drops rosemary essential oil (optional)
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Your mask is ready to use.
If you find the mixture too thick you can add some warm water to it.
How to use:
Start with dry or damp hair. Apply this mask to your hair and scalp, put on your shower cap or wrap your head in a muslin cloth or a towel. Let it soak in for 45 to 60 minutes for it to really moisturise your hair.
Next, wash hair with one of the natural cleansers and dry naturally.
And don’t be surprised if your hair is soft, shiny and bouncy.
Just like you have sashayed out of the salon.
- You can try adding other oils like olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil to this mask.
- You can make your own coconut milk using fresh coconut, or even dried coconut meat.
- Honey can make your hair light over time, so a good alternative is blackstrap molasses.
- You may skip conditioning after shampoo, see how your hair feels.
- Use this mask once a week or once a fortnight.
By Minaz/ HairBuddha