Text message lures man to his death in Kisii’s Sansora Village

Shocked villagers gather to console the family of a man who was hacked to death by unknown people on December 8, 2017 in Sansora Village, Masaba South in Kisii County. The man was lured out of his house through a text message. Photo credit: Daily Nation.

A man was Friday night hacked to death by unknown people at Sansora Village, Masaba South in Kisii County.

Mr Jared Atanga, 40, is said to have been lured to his death by an unknown person shortly after returning home at 7pm Friday evening.

His wife Gladys Nyambeki told Nation.co.ke that her husband had returned home and was about to eat his supper when he got a text message on his phone telling him to go out and check on the person.

“He had stayed the house for about an hour when he said he was leaving shortly to see a friend who had sent him a text message. He told us he was return shortly but when he did he was staggering back with blood oozing from his head,” said Ms Nyambeki.

She said he did not tell her who had sent him the text message, only saying it was one of their neighbours.

“When he came back he only uttered that he was dying and that we could not help him,” the mother of five narrated.


Mr Magati, a brother of the dead man said Atanga had panga cuts on his head, back, nape and hands when he returned an hour later crying for help.

“The only thing he said was that we could not help him as he was dying. Nonetheless, we called for a taxi and rushed him to Gesusu Sub-County Hospital where doctors pronounced him dead,” said Magati.

Area Chief Orina Ondicho said investigations were still going on to determine the motive of the killing.

He said with the help of villagers and the police they had been able to trace the house where the man was attacked.

“We followed the trail of blood this morning which led us to the house we believe he was lured into and hacked,” Mr Orina told Nation.

Kisii County Police Commander Abdi Hassan said one suspect, a woman, is in custody to help with investigations.

“Up to now we cannot clearly [tell] the motive of the killing until investigations are complete,” said Mr Hassan.

Mr Hassan appealed to the residents to restrain from taking the law into their own hands when aggrieved.