It would be a sin not to share this melt in your mouth type of recipe, came across the lovely little kitchen on Instagram and this recipe has been haunting me ever since. Thought it would go down good with Tilapia too as I prefer it to Salmon, oh and some fried/grilled or boiled plantain or our staple mama yao ‘Ugali’. We haven’t cooked it but believe me we have virtually indulged, thank me later :-)! From Julie author of the Lovely Little Kitchen here goes …
As the weather heats up I feel a shift in my dinnertime cravings from warm cozy dishes like soups and stews to things that are fresh and light. Might have something to do with the fact that swimsuit season is quickly approaching and quite frankly that’s just a really frightening thought! In any season, I think I could eat this Chili Lime Salmon and Avocado Mango Salsa every night for dinner. Well, that would probably only last about a week until I was on to my next favorite dinner, but you know what I mean. It’s quick, it’s healthy, it’s simple, it’s fresh, and it’s pretty.
What more could a girl ask for?
I usually bake salmon in the oven, but I thought it might be nice to just sauté it on the stove top so that I didn’t heat up the whole kitchen. It really was the way to go with this recipe. I loved the way it formed a nice delicate crust on the outside of the salmon, while the inside stayed moist and flaky. The cool and creamy Mango Avocado Salsa with its sweet heat was the perfect match.
Do you own one of these flexible slotted turners? Very helpful when maneuvering delicate things like fish in and out of pan.
This salmon would be awesome served over coconut rice, or in a fish taco. Hope you love it like I do! Have a lovely weekend!
Chili Lime Salmon with Avocado Mango Salsa
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 2 mango, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, diced finely
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 4 (3 oz) salmon filets
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt
- squeeze of lime
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium bowl, mix together diced mango, avocado, and jalapeño. Drizzle honey and lime juice over the mixture and toss in fresh cilantro. Season with salt according to taste. Set aside until salmon is ready.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Sprinkle chili powder and sea salt on both sides of the salmon filets. Place filets in the pan, and cook for about 4 minutes per side, or until the salmon has a slightly flaky texture (exact time will depend on the thickness). Plate the salmon and squeeze lime juice over each filet, and then top with the mango salsa.